Soil erosion from our perspective we know when we talk about erosion it simply talks about washing away earthen materials. Soil erosion is the denudation of the upper layer of soil. It is a form of soil degradation. This natural process is caused by the dynamic activity of erosive agents, that is, water, ice, snow, air, plants, and animals.
And for a lame man definition soil erosion is the washing or wearing away of the soil from one place to another by natural agent. Talking about the major natural causes this includes water also wind in particular.
Causes of soil erosion
- Cutting of trees by man (Deforestation).
- Derivation of animal (Overgrazing).
- Development of foot path.
- Indiscrimination building of houses without plans.
- Excessive and heavy rainfall especially on slopes increases the rate of soil erosion.
- Clearing of bushes to build industries exposes the soil to soil erosion.
Many of vibration of every duties machine in industries can cause soil erosion.
Controls of soil erosion
Soil erosion can be controlled by:
- Planting covers crops
- Blocking real and gullies with sticks.
- Planting tress especially in deserts area to prevent wind erosion.
- laying straws on the ground around plant i.e mulching.
- Building step like structures to prevent downward flow of water.